||The Municipal Liability practice is co-charied by Matthew A. Cuomo and Oscar Michelen who have decades of experience successfully representing municipalities and special districts before all the New York area State and Federal courts.
Our municipal liability practice comprises two main areas:
- Are highly complex
- Involve catastrophic injuries or damages
- Are politically sensitive
- Have very large sustainable verdict values
Personal injury defense - We represent municipalities in defense of personal injury claims involving:
Labor and employment matters - We handle litigation concerning employment-related claims, including those related to:
- Vehicular fleets
- Municipal properties
- Police and peace officers
- Excessive force
How We're Different
- Collective bargaining units
- Civil service employees
- Exempt employees
- Discrimination claims involving age, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
For more information about our municipal liability practice, please contact Matthew A. Cuomo at
or Oscar Michelen at
or call either partner at 516-741-3222.
- We're politically sensitive - We appreciate the sensitive nature of claims brought against municipalities. We are vigorous, yet discreet, in our representation.
- We're media savvy - We are experienced in handling cases that have attracted a great deal of media attention – and we can skillfully manage public perceptions.
- We keep costs down - We use small legal teams that are responsible for cases from inception to resolution. This achieves maximum results with the greatest efficiency.
- We have litigation expertise - Our attorneys are skilled litigators with hundreds of hours of trial experience. If litigation is necessary, no firm can represent you better.